Hostgator VPS Hosting Resource Usage Key Policy
Hostgator VPS hosting comes with certain terms and conditions regarding some of the resource usage so that the VPS hosting server runs smoothly and also that there is no activities which are restricted happens through Hostgator’s servers. If you are looking to buy a VPS hosting package from the Hostgator then it becomes imperative on you to understand what you are getting and things which are not allowed. The key elements of this policy are:
- The VPS account should not exceed a 15 minute load average greater than two times the amount of CPU cores given.
- Hostgator’s VPS hosting should not be used to run public IRCd’s or malicious bots.
- Hostgator VPS hosting should not also be used to run any type of BitTorrent client or tracker that links to or downloads illegal content.
- You should also not use an Open/Public proxy, or utilize a proxy to access illegal/malicious content.
- The Hostgator’s VPS hosting should also not use I/O intensive applications which adversely affect normal server operations.
- Hostgator VPS hosting allows use of 1 million inodes so that the server performs optimally. This limit is, though, not sacrosanct and it can be increased on the request of the customers on their request.
- VPS hosting clients are also expected to follow the anti spam policy of the Hostgator which is detailed here http://www.hostgator.com/dedicated-mailpolicy.html. Clients are expected to have double opt in for the email sent.
- The back up provided by the Hostgator for VPS clients as a courtesy and the clients should keep their own back ups.
- VPS servers are covered by a network guarantee in which the credit is prorated for the amount of time the server is down, which is not related to our uptime guarantee.
- Hostgator offers you a 45 days money back guarantee on the VPS hosting also.
These are the main policy terms which concerns the VPS hosting of the Hostgator.
Uptime Guarantee of Hostgator
Hostgator offers a 99.9% uptime guarantee for the Reseller and Shared Hosting. If the Hostgator.com is not able to provide the uptime of 99.9% then the Hostgator.com will give you one month of credit. The credit will be given by the Hostgator only after it is satisfied that there was more than allowed downtime. Hostgator.com does not support third party monitoring services’ report due to the many factors which makes it less reliable. For example, the network failure or problem with area in which the third party’s servers are located could give false result of uptime of Hostgator and hence, these reports are not fully reliable.
Hostgator.com calculates the uptime from the report generated by the Operating System and the Apache Webserver. Kindly note that the dedicated servers and VPS hosting does not comes under this guarantee. The Dedicated servers and VPS hosting are given credit on the basis of pro rata and they are covered under the Network Guarantee which is different from the Uptime guarantee of the Shared and Reseller Hosting.
Hostgator Policy Towards Unacceptable Use of Shared Hosting Plans
Hostgator is one of the top Shared Hosting provider which hosts over 9 million websites from all over the world. This it has achieved through its top of the line service and almost perfect management of its Shared hosting servers. The shared hosting servers generally have hundreds of sites hosted on single server. Therefore, it becomes very important for any shared hosting company to manage and monitor the resource usages by individual websites or clients so that no single website or client could cause server to slow down or even collapse.
Hostgator does not allows some types of web sites, applications which can harm the server or other websites on the server. The following are some of the examples of activities or applications which are not allowed on Shared Hosting Plans:
- Hostgator does not allows running of Internet Relay Chat or bots on shared hosting servers.
- Hostgator also does not allow use of Proxy Scripts/Anonymizers
- Hostgator being a responsible host, does not allow Pirated Software/Warez running on its servers
- Image Hosting Scripts (similar to Photobucket or Tinypic) are not allowed
- AutoSurf/PTC/PTS/PPC sites are not allowed
- IP Scanners are not allowed
- Hostgator also does not allow running of Bruteforce Programs/Scripts/Applications
- No Mail Bombers/Spam Scripts allowed
- File Dump/Mirror Scripts (similar to rapidshare) are not allowed
- Commercial Audio Streaming (more than one or two streams) are not allowed to be hosted on shared servers.
- High-Yield Interest Programs (HYIP) or Related Sites are not allowed
- Investment Sites (FOREX, E-Gold Exchange, Second Life/Linden Exchange, Ponzi, MLM/Pyramid Scheme) also are not allowed
- Sale of any controlled substance without prior proof of appropriate permit(s) are not allowed
- Lottery/Gambling Sites are not allowed
- MUDs/RPGs/PBBGs sites not allowed
- Hacker focused sites/archives/programs are also not allowed
- Sites promoting illegal activities are completely prohibited
- Forums and/or websites that distribute or link to warez/pirated/illegal content not allowed
- Fraudulent Sites (Including, but not limited to sites listed at aa419.org & escrow-fraud.com) are strictly prohibited.
- Push button mail scripts not allowed
- Broadcast or Streaming of Live Sporting Events (UFC, NASCAR, FIFA, NFL, MLB, NBA, WWE, WWF, etc) are not allowed on shared servers
- Tell A Friend Scripts, Anonymous or Bulk SMS Gateways, Bitcoin Miners and PayDay Loan Sites (including any site related to PayDay loans, PayDay loan affiliate programs, etc) are also not allowed to be hosted on Hostgator Shared Hosting Servers.
The above list is not exhaustive and the Hostgator reserves the right to ban any web site, which in its opinion, is doing activities which are illegal or may damage other web sites or indulging in spam or frauds or any other undesirable activities.
Hostgator Inodes Policy For Shared Hosting
Hostgator Shared Hosting offers unlimited disk space for its Linux shared hosting packages. However, there is a limitation of 250000 number of inodes for its. The clients are warned when they cross this level as it affect other users in the same server and if the customer odes not take any action then further action could lead to suspension of the account.
The users who crosses 100000 number of inodes would lead to the account being taken off the automatic back up.
What Is Inodes?
This is the question which arises while reading the terms of service Hostgator.com. Well, inodes could loosely termed as files in the Unix system of files. The inodes are data structures which contains information about files in Unix file systems which are created when a file system is created. Therefore, each file contains an inode which has its particular inode number in the file system and it contains many important information about users, access permissions, etc.
How to reduce Inodes?
According to the Hostgator, one of most important reason for high number of inodes is due to the email box. If you do not clear your email box regularly then over a time thousands and thousands of emails could get stored in your email box and thus increasing the number of inodes. So, regularly clear the junk mails in your email box.